Job Opportunity: Legal Researcher in the Law Reform Commission
Open competition for appointment to the position of Legal Researcher (Temporary Full Time Three Year Contract) in the Law Reform Commission.
Deadline for receipt of applications is Thursday 3 October 2019 at 12 pm (noon).
Background Information on the Post
The Law Reform Commission is a statutory body established by the Law Reform Commission Act 1975. The Commission has five members – the President, the Full–time Commissioner, and three part–time Commissioners.
Its role is to keep the law under independent, objective and expert review, to make consequent recommendations for law reform and to make current law accessible for all.
Role of a Legal Researcher
Under the supervision of the Director of Research and the Commission the Legal Researcher will be assigned to a project and will carry out research and assist in preparing Issues Papers and/or a Report or Reports for publication. The Legal Researcher will be credited as a researcher (and as principal researcher if this is the case) on the project when an Issues Paper or Report is published.
Current projects include:
- Contempt of court and other offences and torts involving the administration of justice.
- Knowledge and belief concerning consent in the law of rape.
- Suspended sentences.
- Compulsory acquisition of land.
- Domestic implementation of international obligations.
- Accessibility, Consolidation and Online Publication of Legislation.
Under the supervision of the Director of Research and the Commission successful candidates will:
- provide an efficient, accurate and high quality legal research service to the Commission,
- prepare draft papers, Issues Papers and Reports covering law reform,
- prepare draft updates to the Legislation Directory and of Revised Acts,
- attend and participate at conferences and meetings,
- prepare for and facilitate seminars and meetings on behalf of the Commission, and
- undertake such other duties as may from time to time be assigned by the Commission.
For further information and application details, please click here.