Webinar: Managing Remote Hearings in Quasi–Judicial Bodies
On Friday 18 June, from 2 pm to 6 pm (Irish time), King’s Inns is hosting a webinar on ‘Managing Remote Hearings in quasi–judicial bodies: maintaining fairness and the interests of justice‘.
This online conference would appeal to decision–makers and their secretariats whose default setting has become to hold hearings remotely, or who are migrating their hearings to remote platforms.
- The event will begin with an overview of the logistical and statutory impetus to hold remote hearings and discuss how the qualitative differences in the format might be best managed.
- This will be followed by a moderated panel discussion with inputs from various bodies, which have established their practice to remote hearing platforms.
- Delegates will be given the opportunity to tease out the issues in interactive break–out rooms, with particular emphasis on when it may be unfair or contrary to the interests of justice to proceed remotely and how to manage the hearing with minimal hiccups and to ensure effective participation best.
Speakers include members of the junior and senior bar, including:
- Tricia Sheehy Skeffington BL, Coordinator for the Advanced Diploma in Quasi–Judicial Decision–Making at King’s Inns
- Ms. Justice Iseult O’Malley, Judge of the Supreme Court
- Úna Tighe SC, Member of the Inner Bar
- Solicitor Gwendolen Morgan, Registrar of the Workplace Relations Commission
- Hilkka Becker, Chair of the International Protection Appeals Tribunal
- Emer Morrissey, Head of Dispute Resolution, Residential Tenancies Board
- 14.00 Introductory lecture: Ensuring fair hearings in the interests of justice on remote platforms Speaker: Tricia Sheehy Skeffington BL (Q&A at 14.45)
- 15.00 Panel Discussion: Logistics of remote hearings – lessons learned. Chaired by Úna Tighe SC, with Hilkka Becker, Emer Morrissey and Gwendolen Morgan
- 16.00 Coffee Break
- 16.15 Participative small group discussion/exercise on assessing whether it is fair to proceed with a remote hearing
- 16.50 Participative small group discussion/exercise on managing issues that arise in remote hearings
- 17.30 Keynote conclusions. Speaker: Ms Justice Iseult O’Malley
- This webinar will take place over Zoom. The webinar will take place live and will not be recorded for viewing at a later date.
- Due to the interactive nature of the webinar, a desktop/laptop is preferable to phone or tablet to optimise functionality. You will need a built–in or separate microphone and webcam.
- Attendees will be sent a Zoom link for the webinar plus some reading materials on Thursday, 17 June after 2 pm.
Cost and Booking Details
€85.00 per attendee
Register early to secure your spot. Limited spaces are available. Registration will close at 1 pm SHARP (Irish time) on Thursday, 17 June 2021.
If you have any questions, please contact MEMBERS@KINGSINNS.IE.