Page last updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2022
To encourage some camaraderie while we all work, live and learn through social distancing, King’s Inns brought back our popular ON THE MOVE Fitness Challenge last Winter season.
Participants had to run, row, swim, cycle, walk, or travel via wheelchair to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in Strasbourg, France. All students, members, staff and alumni of our community were invited to participate as well as friends and family.
Following the outstanding success of King’s Inns first Fitness Challenge in 2020 in aid of the Capuchin Day Centre, we raised the bar (groan!) this year and our target was increased to 1400km.
Here are a few things you should know!
- This Fitness Challenge is not just about reaching the distance, it is more about the journey getting to the destination.
- The event started on Sunday, November 28 and ran to Sunday, January 30 (63 days / 9 weeks).
- You can have 2 to 6 people on your team to help reach the goal.
- Give your team a Team Name.
- Our Member Relations Officer Diane can help you put together a team, or join an existing team. See details below.
- We do not expect you to travel to the ECHR, just to try and reach the distance goal of 1400km. You could even attempt this from the comfort of your own home on an exercise bike or rower or playing with your kids.
- Teams can choose their own tracking devices and apps (optional) to keep a track of their distance travelled. Your Team Captain will keep track of the distance and send in once you have reached the destination.
- All your hard work is in aid of the Capuchin Day Centre.
As always, it is not about reaching the finish line, it’s about the journey getting there.
Our focus is on fun, getting outdoors, building camaraderie and bringing our community together. We are encouraging our entire community – students, staff, lecturers, visiting speakers, members and alumni, neighbours and suppliers to take part. Friends, family and even your pets are most welcome! We particularly encourage students to make connections, and mix their team with barristers and other professionals in practise.
The Capuchin Day Centre
- 75% of the entry fee will be donated directly to the Capuchin Day Centre, a charity that King’s Inns works with on an annual basis. The remaining 25% will go towards spot prizes (see below). King’s Inns will also contribute a variety of prizes.
- We also have an iDonate page setup which teams can use to seek support from their families and friends in completing this task (optional).
- CLICK THE PURPLE BUTTON BELOW TO SETUP YOUR IDONATE PAGE.
- All funds raised here will go to the Capuchin Day Centre.
Team names last updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2022
- Wigs & Wobbles – winner of the Best Team Mascot Prize
- Circuits and tHigh Courts – winner of the Creative Team Name Prize
- Is it 2022 Yet? – winner of the Picturesque Location Prize
- Movers and Shakers
- Are We There Yet? – winner of the Unique Team Journey Prize
- Legs Misérables
- RBG & Scalia
- The Jonny Cochranes
- Just Desserts – winner of the Team Spirit Prize
- Striders and Strollers
Our challenge is not all about winning, but it’s always nice to be rewarded, right? So with this in mind we are currently working with partners on a range of beautiful Spot Prizes for this year’s event.
- Best team mascot
- Picturesque location
- Creative team name
- Unique team journey – different ways teammates completed the Challenge – did you swim part of the Irish Sea or in a picturesque lake? Did you hike up some mountains or a jog around a park? Did you bring your partner or kids with you, multitasking while chatting to a teammate? Did you go for a run in the lashing rain…
- Team spirit – teams who show they are building up some team spirit and getting to know each other
Prizes include King’s Inns beanies and t–shirts, candles from Bread and Weather, Bean and Goose chocolate, and our star prize 6 x i–Fit subscriptions from our fitness friends in Expert Leisure – more details below. Oh, and we have a little treat for best mascot too…!
EXPERT LEISURE & iFIT: Would you like to have a personal trainer in your pocket?! Our fitness friends in Expert Leisure are kindly gifting 6 x Annual iFIT subscriptions for one of our prizewinning teams taking part in our ON THE MOVE fitness challenge. iFIT provides users with an almost limitless library of live and on–demand Global Workouts and Studio Classes for completion either with or without equipment. Expert Leisure are exclusive distributors of Freemotion Fitness gym equipment in Ireland, see expertleisure.ie
Teams can choose their own tracking devices and apps to keep a track of their distance travelled. Once you reach the destination, Your Team Captain should email in proof of reaching the target completed by their team.
Again, it is not about who completes it first, so do not even try and cheat! If your team can only complete half the distance in the timeframe but during the process you have some fun, build some #KITEAMSPIRIT and get to know each other, we see that team as a winner.
Fitness Tips and Motivational Videos
Join the Conversation
Twitter is our preferred social network for this Challenge.
Please tag @KingsInns in your photos and use the hashtag #KITEAMSPIRIT and we will share your posts on our networks. We have some prizes for the teams who have the most fun competing this challenge! See below.
Help to build your team
Our Member Relations Officer Diane Sutton can assist if you would like help in building a team. Email Diane at MEMBERS@KINGSINNS.IE or contact on Twitter at @DIANESUTTON_. Or place a message up on Twitter by tagging us in a tweet and we will share on our network to help you build a team.