This diploma is a unique part–time evening programme offering legal practitioners, civil servants, local government officials, regulators, law graduates or persons with relevant legislative experience the opportunity to obtain an Advanced Diploma in Legislative Drafting.
There is a significant shortage in legislative drafters worldwide. This programme is expressly designed to train participants in the skill of drafting legislation and regulations, heads of Bills, rules and bye–laws thereby fulfilling a very important role in the delivery of legal education for a vital area of governance.
Programme Aims and Learning Outcomes
The programme will expose participants to all aspects of the theory and practice of legislative drafting.
With this advanced diploma, you will have gained a unique qualification that will give you a solid foundation in drafting legislation, identifying loopholes and translating policy into law.
On successful completion of the programme, the participants will have the knowledge required to understand a drafting project and will have practised and honed the skills required for successful management of drafting projects. A key aim is to integrate theory and practice.
Who is the course for?
The course will be suitable for legal practitioners, civil and public servants, consultants, agencies and regulators who require the skill of drafting legislation and regulations.
COURSE DESIGNER AND LEAD LECTURER
The course designer and lead lecturer of the course is Kieran Mooney BL, Former Chief Parliamentary Counsel, Attorney General’s Office.
Course Content and Delivery
Delivery is in part–time evening mode through the medium of seminars, workshops and lectures presented by leading experts in the area. The programme runs over a period of approximately 17 teaching weeks and is delivered two evenings per week, usually Tuesday and Thursday, from 6 pm to 8 pm, in a small group setting in–person at King’s Inns.
Provisional Start Date: Tuesday, October 17.
All class notes are available to read through our Virtual Learning Environment. Online tutorials and IT support are available to help students navigate their way through our library and legal resource databases.
King’s Inns is built on networking and engagement. Over the year, we invite students to attend and participate in various social events, fireside chats and talks. Events take place either online or in–person. All of this contributes to the learning experience that is King’s Inns.
The programme is comprised of 8 key modules:
- What drafters do
- Statutory interpretation and its relevance to drafting
- Key tools for drafters
- Public law considerations in drafting
- Pre–cabinet legislative processes and private members’ Bills
- Writing skills
- Legal writing
- Drafting and other relevant skills
Please note the course content is subject to change in accordance with new developments in this area.
Experiential learning forms a significant part of the programme with participants learning reflectively through exercises and individualised feedback and consequently practical workshops will be one of the teaching methods used in most areas. This will consist of a variety of teaching and learning interventions including practical skills development. Formal presentations provide background theory in the substantive knowledge areas underpinning the programme.
Assessment and Accreditation
This is a professional development course and it is accredited independently by The Honorable Society of King’s Inns. The skills and competence gained in studying at King’s Inns are transferable, portable and recognised internationally. It is a valuable qualification delivered by distinguished lawyers, members of the judiciary, legal and other practitioners specialising in legal education.
To be awarded the Advanced Diploma, a participant is required to successfully complete four assessments,
including a final multiple choice examination.
- Course fee: €5,550
- You should view the fee structure, payment terms, and other charges here >
Barrister–at–Law graduates who are subscribing members to King’s Inns receive a 10% discount on this course. You must receive your discount code before applying. View more information here >
Places on this course are strictly limited in order to preserve the small group, interactive nature of the learning experience for the course. This course is invariably over–subscribed. King’s Inns has selection criteria in place and applicants are required to submit certain documentation to support an application.
- Personal Statement addressing how the candidate’s qualifications and/or previous or current work experience are relevant to the course.
- Certified Copy of your academic and professional achievements. If you are a barrister, it is not necessary to supply this information.
- Any relevant documents supporting your application.
- Documents may be submitted in the following formats: pdf, png, gif, jpg, jpeg. The maximum allowed size for each document is 20MB.
How do I Apply?
Applications were assessed on a rolling basis and King’s Inns has allocated all available places for 2023 entry. The course is now full. Further information on the next course will be released when available.
Acceptance on this course will be notified on an ongoing basis. If you have been accepted, your place on the course will not be secured until payment is received in full. It is advised to pay as soon as you get accepted.
- Payment can be made through the Application Portal using your credit or debit card (please make sure your bank allows you to process the full payment in one go), or
- If your employer is paying for your studies, you will require a valid PO number in advance of making the application, the name and email address for the person responsible for payment in your organisation.
- The invoice will issue directly to the person whose details you enter. The participant will also be able to download a copy of the invoice through the Application Portal. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure their employer has paid in full within the timeframe required in order to secure a place. King’s Inns cannot contact your employer for payment, we can only liaise with the applicant.
An automated payment receipt will be generated confirming your place on the course.
Subscribing members: You must apply your discount code upon application. It cannot be applied after the application is made.
RECEIVE NOTIFICATION WHEN MORE INFORMATION IS AVAILABLE